Thursday, November 27, 2008

Franz Josef Glacier

Today, Kate and I walked on a Glacier. I think that pretty much sums it up (other than the part when we got lost...)
OH, and ! when James Cook first saw the Franz Josef Glacier, he thought it was a cloud. That had to be embarassing!

The Glacier!
A few of the many beautiful waterfalls! The Franz Joseph is one of only 3 glaciers found in a rainforest (The Fox is another and the third is in Argentina). Most glaciers are found at much higher altitudes, but the massiveness of the Southern Alps next to the coast made the Franz Josef and Fox glaciers possible.
There's been a lot of rain. The glaciers are everchaning, see the cave in the middle, supposedly, that is three times bigger than it was just a week ago. Also, check out the amazing action of erosion on the rocks! They're so pretty!
I'm on top of a glacier!!! I'm so cool.

I think the ice looks really cool. Also, I was standing still because there was a bit of a back up, so I had to entertain myself, something we all know I'm good at.



No comments: